Thursday, July 12, 2012

28mm Barbed Wire Tutorial


I decided I needed to make some barbed wire for 28mm gaming for both World Wars and beyond. I did not have much trouble with this project and I consider myself an amateur at best. This build comes down to time. As they say time is money. Not counting drying times this took me about 4 hours which I don't think is too bad. I could have bought ready to go barbed wire but I enjoy creating terrain as much as I enjoy war gaming.



To start this project I bought some mdf board and had my brother use his table saw to cut it which saved me a lot of time cutting it by hand. I had him cut them into 8 inch by 2 inch pieces.


I took a piece of sand paper and ran it over the edges to smooth them out. Next I tried using hot glue to glue the matchsticks to the mdf board but it wasn't very strong so I got my dremel tool and drilled holes into the mdf to mount the matchsticks. Once I had the matchsticks in place I used a bit of hot glue to keep them in place.


Once I had all the boards done I mixed up a batch of spackling compound and covered the base with it. When I had all the boards done I waited 24 hours for them to dry.


When they were dry I painted the boards with brown paint. After I painted each board I sprinkled some sand over the wet paint to give it some texture. When the paint dried I hit it with another coat to keep the sand in place.


After the second coat of brown was dried I mixed up a lighter color by adding white to the brown and proceeded to dry brush the ground.

When I was happy with the ground I moved onto the fence posts. I started by painting them black. Next I dry brushed them with a craft store paint, I don't remember the color but it's similar to Khaki. I added a bit of white to the Khaki and dry brushed the posts again. I dry brushed them a few more times each time I added more white into the mix. Then I gave the posts a wash before one more highlight of pure white.


When I was happy with the fences I added some static grass onto the bases here and there.
Next it was time to make the wire. I took 2 pieces of wire and twisted them together using a drill. As you can see below it looks pretty good.


To get the barbs I took small pieces of wire and tied it into a knot onto the twisted piece of wire then just cut the ends to size.


Next I glued the pieces of barbed wire onto the wood stakes.When the glue was dry I painted the wire gunmetal and finished it off with a black wash and that's it. Overall I'm very happy with the results and I think the time I put into it was worth the effort. 


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...